Kent Truck Accident AttorneyRequest Free Consultation
Truck accidents are a serious issue in both personal injury law and in the country as a whole. The sheer size of trucking vehicles makes them more difficult to control, especially when they’re carrying extremely heavy loads. These large vehicles can easily lose their loads and even overturn completely, especially if they hit an object on the side of the road or swerve too quickly to avoid it. Not only that, but truck drivers have poor visibility because of the truck’s height off the ground, which means that many drivers don’t see smaller cars until it’s too late for them to stop safely.
If you were injured in a trucking accident, the Kent truck accident attorneys at our firm are here for you. Caffee Accident & Injury Lawyers have been handling truck accident cases for years. Don’t hesitate to contact us whenever you’re ready at (206) 312-0954 or fill out our online contact form.
Kent Truck Accident Legal Resources:
- Why Choose Us?
- How Deadly Are Truck Accidents?
- What Are Common Truck Accident Injuries?
- What Are Common Causes of Truck Accidents?
- What Is Negligence in a Truck Accident?
- What Damages Can I Recover For a Truck Accident Claim Worth in Washington?
- What Are the Benefits of Hiring a Kent Truck Accident Lawyer?
- What Kinds of Evidence Will Help My Claim?
- Can I Recover Damages In an Accident Even if I’m Partially at Fault?
- Contact Us
Why Choose Us?
- Our truck accident attorneys have been representing injured victims throughout the state of Washington for more than 10 years.
- We take the time to listen to our clients, identify their goals and personalize our legal strategies to obtain the best possible results for each truck accident case.
- Our lead attorney, Jeffrey Caffee, has been honored with the title of “Top 100 Trial Lawyers” from The National Trial Lawyers every year since 2013.
- Our Kent truck accident attorneys accept cases on a contingency fee basis. This means no fees are charged upfront; you will only pay if and when we win your case.
How Deadly Are Truck Accidents?
One study by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety found that truck drivers were involved in fatal collisions 21 percent more often than passenger cars, light trucks, and utility vehicles combined.
These large vehicles also have much longer stopping distances because their brakes weigh several hundred pounds each compared with 80-100 pounds on average for cars and small trucks.
The difference between 200 feet at 60 miles per hour can mean the difference between life and death when it comes to avoiding impact from another vehicle behind you.
What are Common Truck Accident Injuries?
Commercial truck accidents can have devastating consequences, usually for the victims in the passenger car. The size and weight of a large truck are no match for smaller and lighter vehicles. This can result in serious or catastrophic injuries connected to truck accidents, often with lifelong consequences for victims. Some of the most common injuries that we’ve seen associated with truck accidents in Kent are:
- Back and spinal cord injuries. The spinal column can get bruised, fractured or severed, causing serious injuries such as paralysis. Less severe back injuries, such as a herniated disk, can still be painful and debilitating.
- Neck injuries. In a collision involving a large truck, a victim’s head and neck may swivel rapidly around, resulting in soft-tissue injuries to the neck such as whiplash.
- Head and brain injuries. If anything strikes a victim’s head in a truck accident, he or she could suffer a skull fracture or brain injury. A traumatic brain injury, such as a concussion, can have lasting or permanent symptoms.
- Broken bones. The severity and location of a bone fracture can determine how much the injury affects the victim. A broken bone in the spine, for example, can cause paralysis, while a broken rib could puncture a lung.
- Wrongful death. Sadly, many truck accidents in Washington are fatal. If a victim dies at the scene of the accident or afterward from truck accident injuries, surviving loved ones may be eligible for financial compensation for wrongful death.
Collecting full and fair financial compensation for your truck accident injuries is an important part of the recovery process. A fair settlement can allow you and your family to pay for your necessary medical care and move past a truck accident with greater financial peace of mind. You may need assistance from an attorney to negotiate a fair settlement value on your behalf, especially if you or a loved one suffered catastrophic injuries.
What are Common Causes of Truck Accidents?
There are many factors that can lead to a truck accident, such as driver fatigue, speeding, and distracted driving. One major cause is improperly secured loads. If a load isn’t properly tied down or balanced, it can easily fall off the truck and onto the road, causing an obstruction for other drivers. This happens more often than you might think; one study found that almost 60 percent of all truck accidents were caused by unsecured loads.
Another common factor in truck accidents is poor vehicle maintenance. When trucks don’t receive proper care and attention, their brakes can fail or tires can blow out while they are being driven on the road.
Driver error is also a major cause of many accidents, with many truck drivers falling asleep behind the wheel or crashing from texting while driving.
What Is Negligence in a Truck Accident?
Negligence is a legal term that describes when someone fails to uphold the duty of care they owe others, and this failure causes injury. In personal injury cases, negligence involves breaching some sort of duty by not taking proper precautions or exercising due diligence in their actions.
If you can prove that another party was negligent in causing your injuries from a truck accident, then you may be entitled to compensation for related expenses such as medical bills and lost wages if the time off of work due to the accident caused a negative impact on your career.
For example, if a truck driver was texting and driving and causes an accident causing you to sustain personal injuries, you may be able to prove that the driver was negligent. Additionally, if the driver crashed because of an oversight by the trucking company – inspections weren’t completed or anything else that is required wasn’t done – you may be able to hold the company liable for their negligence as well.
What Damages Can I Recover For a Truck Accident Claim Worth in Washington?
If one or more parties were negligent in causing your truck accident in Kent, you may be eligible for financial compensation from that party’s insurance carrier. Every case is unique, with its own value attributed to factors such as injury severity and the extent of the victim’s losses. Due to the catastrophic nature of many commercial truck accidents, these lawsuits can be worth a significant amount – sometimes in the millions. The value of your case will depend on the specific circumstances and the amount of insurance coverage available.
Your list of compensable losses may include:
- Past and future medical bills
- Prescription and over-the-counter medications
- Physical therapy, rehabilitation and mental health counseling
- Out-of-pocket costs and attorney’s fees
- Missed work and future capacity to earn
- The cost of a damaged or totaled vehicle
- Physical pain and emotional suffering
- Disability or disfigurement
- Wrongful death damages
- Punitive (exemplary) damages
It is important to learn the true value of your truck accident claim from an attorney before accepting a settlement from an insurance company. You can trust an attorney to accurately evaluate your losses and demand maximum compensation from an insurance claims adjuster on your behalf. Your Kent truck accident attorney can help you collect and submit proof of your losses, such as receipts and medical records, to optimize your financial recovery.
What Are the Benefits of Hiring a Kent Truck Accident Lawyer?
Many people are under the impression that hiring an attorney is expensive and only worth it in special cases. However, this couldn’t be further from the truth. The benefits of working with a personal injury lawyer include:
- Reducing your stress during the legal process by handling all communication between you and the insurance companies or other involved parties on your behalf
- Providing expert guidance so you understand everything about your case
- Keeping track of deadlines when dealing with complex litigation
- Filing necessary forms to ensure that all evidence is included
- Working quickly so you receive the maximum settlement for damages
- Winning larger awards than if you were trying to handle the situation on your own
What Kinds of Evidence Will Help My Claim?
When filing a personal injury claim, your Kent truck accident attorney will need as much evidence as possible to support your case. Some of the most common types of evidence include:
- Police reports
- Witness statements
- Photos or videos of the accident
- Scene reconstruction expert reports
- The medical records detailing your injuries
- Employment records if you’ve had to take time off work
It’s important to keep in mind that evidence can change and evolve over time, so it’s essential to update your lawyer on any new developments that occur.
Can I Recover Damages In an Accident Even if I’m Partially at Fault?
Many people think that if they were even partially at fault for an accident that they can’t recover compensation by filing a personal injury claim. In some states, this is true. Fortunately, Washington is not one of those states.
In Washington state, you can recover damages even if you were partially at fault for the accident. Washington is a contributory negligence state, meaning any damages you receive though trial will be reduced by the amount that the court determines you were at fault. For example, if you were 25 percent at fault, your awarded compensation would be reduced by 25 percent. Therefore, if the court determined that you should receive $100,000, you would end up taking home $75,000.
Contact Our Kent Truck Accident Lawyers | Free Consultations
The Kent big rig accident attorneys at Caffee Accident & Injury Lawyers have been handling truck accident cases for years. We are successful in 99 percent of our cases, and we will do everything possible to collect compensation for you. We handle every single case with care and treat our clients the way we would want our own family members to be treated should they ever need the assistance of an attorney. If you have questions or you’re ready to start the process of filing a civil claim, contact us as soon as possible by calling (206) 312-0954 or by filling out our online contact form.