Federal Way Personal Injury AttorneyRequest Free Consultation
Falling victim to a severe accident can leave you with expensive medical bills, property damages, and lost wages. The pain and suffering that personal injury accidents bring you may make you feel like your life will never be the same. But here’s what people don’t tell you: you have options. With the help of an experienced Federal Way personal injury attorney, you can help repair the broken pieces to begin the recovery process.
To connect with a qualified Federal Way personal injury lawyer, it’s important to understand the basics of personal injuries and how lawsuits function. If you have any questions or need legal assistance in Federal Way, Washington, you can always contact Caffee Accident & Injury Lawyers by calling us at (206) 312-0954 or contact us through our online contact form.
What Is a Personal Injury?
In most cases, a personal injury includes a plaintiff claiming they’ve sustained mental or physical injuries due to negligence by another party. Some personal injuries can result from intentional acts, but the most common lawsuits arise as a result of negligent conduct. If your personal injury attorney helps you win the case, the court awards you monetary damages.
Understanding the Different Types of Personal Injuries
Personal injuries may occur in various circumstances, including the following:
- Car Accidents: These include victims who suffer from injuries as a result of people driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs or other distracted behaviors.
- Defective Products: Defective products of various kinds, including cars and electronics, can cause severe injuries.
- Medical Malpractice: Medical errors, for example a severe misdiagnosis, can leave you with permanent disabilities and unexpected medical bills.
- Nursing Home Negligence: If a nursing care facility neglects or abuses you or your loved one, you can file a personal injury case against them.
- Slip and Fall: If you or your loved one slips or falls on someone’s poorly maintained hazardous property, you can connect with a Federal Way personal injury attorney to seek compensation.
- Wrongful Death: Wrongful deaths comprise fatal injuries that are preventable and caused by the perpetrator’s carelessness or intention.
Common Injuries From Personal Injury Accidents
The nature and severity of your injury primarily depends on the type of the accident. With personal injury accidents, victims typically experience the following types of injuries:
- Broken Bones
- Facial and Soft Tissue Injury
- Sensory Damage
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Traumatic Brain Injury
What Kind of Act Is Considered a Personal Injury?
Personal injuries are generally of two types: intentional and unintentional. Intentional injuries occur if a defendant deliberately tries to hurt a victim. An unintentional injury occurs due to negligence. Slip and fall accidents, medical malpractice injuries, and auto accidents are all considered ‘negligence cases.’
What Is an Intentional Injury Claim?
Intentional injuries occur due to a defendant’s deliberate intent to commit an act. Examples of an intentional act are assault, false imprisonment, and murder.
While these actions are against the law and can lead to a defendant being arrested, you can also file a civil claim against someone who commits these acts against you or a loved one.
How Does a Personal Injury Case Work?
Every accident is different from the other, so there’s no one-size-fits-all path for a personal injury case. However, there are some standard steps listed below:
Defendant Owed a Legal Duty of Care & Breached It
To successfully file a personal injury lawsuit based on negligence, you must first prove that the defendant owed you a legal duty of care. The legal duty a defendant breached depends on the specific situation where the injury occurred.
For instance, nurses have a legal responsibility to take care of their patients according to the appropriate medical standard of care. Drivers must operate their automobiles with care and concentration, and manufacturers must ensure that no dangerous products reach the market.
Plaintiff Is Injured
To move forward with a personal injury lawsuit, you will also have to show that you suffered an injury. It can be the result of any harmful act done by the defendant to intentionally or unintentionally harm you.
Injuries Are a Result of Breach
It’s also a requirement that you actually suffered injuries as a result of the breach. If the defendant was negligent but you didn’t suffer any injuries as a result, you won’t be able to collect any compensation.
Possible Settlement Discussions
The above must be proven if your case ends up in court. However, not all personal injury cases go to trial; the majority of them are settled before the case gets to the court room. Your lawyer will speak with the defense and see if they can work out a settlement offer instead of going to trial. if this isn’t possible, the case will proceed to trial.
What Can Victims Recover with the Help of a Personal Injury Lawyer?
Personal injury accidents not only cause pain and suffering, but they can be a substantial financial burden. If your injury requires surgery or a long-term hospital stay that prevents you from working, the financial stress can be severe. With the help of a personal injury lawyer, you can recover more than just your medical costs. You may also be able to recover the following:
- Future Lost Income – If your injuries require you to take time off from work, your attorney will help you get compensation.
- Future Medical Costs – Some severe injuries require months or years of follow-up therapy, medical supplies, and medication. Your personal injury attorney will ensure that you get compensation for the long-term costs.
- Loss of Quality of Life – If a personal injury robs you of your quality of life, you must seek justice for it.
- Pain and Suffering – It’s impossible to put a price tag on pain and suffering; however, a personal injury attorney will help you gain appropriate compensation.
- Property Damage – Personal injury accidents may result in property damage, including damage to motor vehicles, homes, and expensive personal items.
How Long Does a Personal Injury Case Take?
When pursuing maximum compensation for your injury, the length of the case depends on the severity of your injuries, the complexity of the case, whether it settles or goes to trial, and other factors. If the case goes to trial, it could take a few years to resolve the case. If the case is settled, it is almost always quicker, sometimes being resolved in less than one year.
Caffee Accident & Injury Lawyers Are Here For You
If you’re looking for experienced personal injury attorneys, you’ve come to the right place. At Caffee Accident & Injury Lawyers, we have nearly two decades of experience helping victims receive compensation for injuries caused by someone else’s negligence or intentional acts. We are successful in almost 99 percent of our cases, and recover millions of dollars for our clients every year. When you need us, we are available to help.
You can contact your legal team via email, text, phone, zoom, or set up a meeting in person. We understand how stressful and devastating an injury can be to you and your loved ones, so we will do whatever we can to make the process as simple as possible for you. If you need help, contact the Federal Way personal injury attorneys at our firm today by calling (206) 312-0954 or filling out our online contact form for a free consultation.