Federal Way Wrongful Death Attorney | Free Consults | (206) 312-0954
video calls availablese habla español
Free Consultation (206) 312-0954
Request Free Consultation

Federal Way Wrongful Death Lawyer

Request Free Consultation

Losing a loved one is devastating. It’s even more tragic when that death was preventable and due to the negligence or carelessness of another person. If you find yourself in this situation, it’s a good idea to contact a Federal Way wrongful death lawyer that can help you recover the compensation you deserve.

Caffee Accident & Injury Lawyers has a team of legal professionals that can help you with this type of case from start to finish. Our goal is to take as much stress out of your life as is possible. Contact Caffee Accident & Injury Lawyers today to schedule a free consultation with our legal team of personal injury attorneys by calling (206) 312-0954 or by filling out our online contact form.

Federal Way, WA Wrongful Death Resources

Why Choose Us?

If you have lost a loved one due to someone else’s negligence, you may be feeling overwhelmed and unsure of where to turn. That’s where our Federal Way wrongful death attorneys come in. An experienced personal injury attorney can help guide you through the legal process and ensure that your rights are protected every step of the way. Our attorneys will file all claims on time in order to ensure you can receive the compensation you deserve.

The Federal Way wrongful death lawyers at our firm will speak to witnesses, gather medical records, and collect other important evidence, such as police reports, video footage, and any other documents or information that they believe will show that someone else was responsible for your loved one’s death. The lawyers will guide you through this process and ensure that it is as easy and stress free as possible for you.

Common Causes of Wrongful Death in the U.S.

While there are many different causes of wrongful death, some of the most common include:

Medical Malpractice 

One of the leading causes of wrongful death is medical malpractice. This can include errors made during surgery, misdiagnosis, or prescribing the wrong medication. When hospitals and medical professionals fail to meet the expected standard of care, it can result in devastating consequences for patients and their families. 

Car Accidents 

Car accidents are another major cause of wrongful death in the United States. Drivers who operate their vehicles recklessly or under the influence of alcohol or drugs are often to blame for these accidents. 

Defective Products 

When manufacturers fail to adequately test their products or issue warnings about potential risks, it can result in serious injury or death for consumers. If you have lost a loved one due to a defective product, you may be able to file a wrongful death lawsuit against the manufacturer or seller of the product. 

Workplace Accidents

Another common cause of wrongful death is workplace accidents. These accidents can occur in any type of workplace, but they are most common in construction sites, factories, and other workplaces where hazards are present. If your loved one died in a workplace accident, you may be eligible for workers’ compensation benefits. However, if the accident was caused by someone other than the employer, you may also have a wrongful death claim against that individual. 

Who Is Responsible For a Wrongful Death in Washington?

For a death to be considered wrongful, it must have been caused by the negligence or intentional wrongdoing of another person or entity. Anyone who causes the death or plays a part in it can be legally responsible. 

In Washington, there are two main ways that a death can be considered wrongful: if it was caused by someone’s negligence, or if it was caused by someone’s intentional act. 

Negligence is defined as a failure to take reasonable care to avoid harming others. It is the most common type of claim made in wrongful death lawsuits. To prove negligence, the plaintiff must show that the defendant owed a duty of care to the deceased, that they breached that duty, and that the breach resulted in the death of the deceased. The plaintiff must also prove that they suffered damages as a result of their loved one’s death.

A wrongful death claim can even be brought against a governmental entity sometimes, such as a public school district, if the death was caused by negligence on the part of an employee while acting within the scope of his or her employment. For example, if a school bus driver runs a red light and kills a pedestrian crossing the street, the school district may be held liable for wrongful death. However, there are special rules and procedures that must be followed when suing a governmental entity. Therefore, it is important to consult with an experienced wrongful death attorney to determine whether you have a valid claim. 

Intentional acts are just what they sound like: actions taken by someone with the intention of causing harm. Assault, battery, and other intentional torts can all result in wrongful death claims. Unlike negligence claims, which require proof of a duty of care and a breach of that duty, intentional tort claims require proof that the act was committed with intent to harm. 

How do Attorneys Prove a Wrongful Death?

The first step in any wrongful death lawsuit is to prove that the death was, in fact, wrongful. This can be difficult to do, as it requires showing that the defendant’s negligence or intentional act resulted in the victim’s death. In order to do this, you must prove the following:

  • The defendant owed a duty of care to the victim
  • The defendant breached that duty of care owed to the victim
  • The defendant’s actions caused the victim’s death
  • You or the party filing for wrongful death suffered damages and losses as a result of your loved one’s death

Can I File a Wrongful Death Lawsuit if the Victim Wasn’t Family?

While most wrongful death lawsuits involve family members filing the claim, this isn’t always the case. In some instances, non-family members can file a wrongful death lawsuit if they were financially dependent on the victim. For example, a live-in girlfriend or boyfriend could file a wrongful death lawsuit if the victim was their main source of income and there is no spouse, parents, or children to file the claim.

What Damages Can Be Recovered in a Wrongful Death Lawsuit?

There is no set amount that you can recover in a wrongful death lawsuit. Instead, your Federal Way wrongful death attorney will review the evidence and calculate how much money it would have cost to provide support, care, and companionship if the victim had lived through his or her injuries. When calculating these damages in Washington state, there is a presumption that the deceased would have lived for at least fifteen years.

In Washington State, surviving victims involved in wrongful death claims are able to recover compensation for economic and non-economic damages. 

What are Economic Damages?

Economic damages are more objective, tangible and easier to calculate relative to non-economic damages. Economic damages can include:

  • Medical expenses
  • Loss of employment
  • Loss of business opportunities
  • Lost wages
  • Property damage 

What are Non-economic Damages?

Non-economic damages are more subjective and more complicated to calculate. These damages can compensate victims and loved ones for non-monetary losses. These damages can include:

  • Pain and suffering
  • Emotional distress
  • Loss of companionship
  • Loss of consortium
  • Loss of enjoyment of life


How Long Do I Have to File a Wrongful Death Lawsuit?

In Washington state, you must file a wrongful death claim within three years of the date that your loved one passed away. If you fail to file your claim within that timeframe, you will lose out on any compensation that you would have been entitled to otherwise.

What Happens If I Miss The Statute of Limitations Deadline to File a Wrongful Death Claim in Washington?

The deadline, legally known as the statute of limitations, is three years from the date of your loved one’s passing. 

In the event that the statute of limitations has lapsed, the claimant may be permanently prohibited from recovering any compensation for their damages.  Surviving victims can help minimize the potential of missing any mandatory deadlines by contacting a wrongful death lawyer as soon as they are able to.

Contact Caffee Accident & Injury Lawyers

Caffee Accident & Injury Lawyers is always available to assist you with a wrongful death claim. Losing a loved one is always devastating, and we will do everything in our power to ensure that you get the justice and the compensation you deserve. Don’t delay if your loved one was taken from you due to the negligence of someone else.

Contact us today to schedule a free consultation with our legal team by calling (206) 312-0954 or by filling out our online contact form.