video calls availableFree Consultation
Request Free Consultation

Yakima, Washington – Two People Injured After Lamp in Hotel Room Catches on Fire

Request Free Consultation
Posted on June 26, 2019

Yakima, Washington (June 22, 2019) – Two people were injured following an incident where a lamp inside a hotel room caught on fire. Both victims were treated for smoke inhalation, with one victim being treated on scene and the other being taken to the hospital. People inside the hotel were also evacuated, but there were no other injuries reported in the incident.

The lamp was said to have caught on fire just after 8 p.m. While the fire did not spread and was put out before crews arrived, smoke filled the hallways of the hotel. Guests were asked to wait outside the hotel for 40 minutes for safety. It is not yet clear why the lamp caught on fire.

About Fires

Electrical causes remain to be one of the top causes for home fires according to the NFPA. Their Electrical Fire Reports to the U.S Fire Department since 2000 estimates around 45,000 to 55,000 cases of home fires being caused by electrical malfunction every year. Annual losses due to electrical fire result in 455 civilian deaths, 1, 500 civilian injuries and 1.5 billion of dollars in direct property damage. From these statistics, the risk from electrical fire is very real and should not be underestimated. As for the accidents themselves, the NFPA lists 63 percent involved wiring and related equipment, 74 percent cited some sort of electrical failure or malfunction, and wire or cable insulation was the first item ignited in 32 percent of electrical distribution or lighting equipment home structure fires. When reviewing fire safety for the home, one should not forget to check for possible electrical causes. While we take the role of electricity for granted, one should never forget to use electricity without caution. Apart from the risks like electrocution and electrical burns, the electrical system can also pose a problem to the home itself. Proper identification and handling of electrical problems will be a key in securing fire safety for the home and all those that live in it.