Spokane, Washington – Three People Taken to the Hospital For Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Posted on Wednesday, December 18th, 2019 at 9:51 pm
Spokane, Washington (December 16, 2019) – Two adults and a child were taken to a hospital for getting carbon monoxide poisoning in an apartment building on the 8 block of South Magnolia Street. The extent of their injuries has not been mentioned, but it was reported that they have been released from the hospital. The rest of the building was also evacuated in the incident and no other injuries have been reported.
The Spokane Fire Department first received reports of carbon monoxide in the mixed-use building before 8 a.m. on Monday morning. The fire department reported a high concentration of carbon monoxide was present on the second floor of the building. According to the investigation, the building was shut off due to poor wiring presenting a fire danger. Residents were given a stipend for temporary housing when the power had been shut off on Friday, but tenants began using the generators on the roof to power space heaters and other devices. The exhaust from the generators caused the carbon monoxide to accumulate inside the building.
About Hazardous Material Incidents
According to Safeopedia.com, hazardous material incidents involve the uncontrolled release of one or more hazardous materials in a location which puts human lives or the environment at risk of damage. Furthermore, the website also defines the term “HAZMAT Incident” as an umbrella term for any incident which involve the release or exposure to biological, chemical and radioactive hazards. Since there is a variety of hazardous materials that can be involved there is no set response to this particular incident. There are three types of hazmat incidents: simple spills, major spills, and emergencies. Simple spills do not spread rapidly and don’t pose an immediate threat to surrounding humans or the environment. Depending on the workplace, these incidents may not require reporting and may be cleaned up by a qualified worker. Major spills and emergencies, on the other hand, are reportable incidents that fulfill one of these conditions: incidents where the hazardous materials spread rapidly, endanger humans or the environment, has caused a person to require medical treatment for either injury or exposure, or involves an individual needing rescue. From this information, it is clear that hazmat incidents can result in lasting injuries and even fatalities. We urge all workplaces that use hazardous materials to run strict safety guidelines. Workplace safety should never be taken for granted in order to prevent damage, not only to human lives, but for the sake of the environment as well.
If you have been injured in an accident, or have lost a loved one to the reckless actions of another, the Seattle personal injury attorneys at Caffee Accident & Injury Lawyers are poised to help you fight back. We have helped numerous people through the legal process and are ready to aggressively represent you as well. Contact us at (206) 899-5415 or online to speak with an attorney today.
Note: The attorneys with Caffee Accident & Injury Lawyers send our hearts out to the victims of serious accidents. Even though we see the pain and suffering accident victims endure through our daily work, it never becomes easier to hear such tragic news. We compose our blog using publicly available news sources. Sometimes stories are updated as more details surface. If our post becomes outdated or inaccurate, please let us know so that we may update it.
Disclaimer: This blog's aim is to increase awareness of severe injuries and their effects so that fewer individuals and families go through the painful and traumatic process of seeing a loved one hurt or killed in an accident. These are difficult topics, but we hope that our readers can use the information found here to help them avoid being involved in an accident. The information presented here does not construe legal advice.