Spokane, Washington – Old City Hall Evacuated Due to Carbon Monoxide
Posted on Friday, January 24th, 2020 at 3:58 am
Spokane, Washington (January 23, 2020) – Carbon monoxide was found in the basement of the Old City Hall on the 221 block of North Howard Street on Thursday morning. According to The Spokesman-Review, the building was safely evacuated and no one sustained injuries in the incident. Workers were allowed to return to the building when repairs were made.
According to the article, workers first called 911 just after 6 a.m., reporting an “unknown odor” coming from the basement of the building. Responding crews found extreme levels of carbon monoxide in the basement, and determined that the gas was coming from a defective boiler. In response, firefighters ventilated the building and repaired the boiler. The incident has been determined to be accidental.
About Hazardous Material Incidents
According to Safeopedia.com, hazardous material incidents involve the uncontrolled release of one or more hazardous materials in a location which puts human lives or the environment at risk of damage. Furthermore, the website also defines the term “HAZMAT Incident” as an umbrella term for any incident which involve the release or exposure to biological, chemical and radioactive hazards. Since there is a variety of hazardous materials that can be involved there is no set response to this particular incident. There are three types of hazmat incidents: simple spills, major spills, and emergencies. Simple spills do not spread rapidly and don’t pose an immediate threat to surrounding humans or the environment. Depending on the workplace, these incidents may not require reporting and may be cleaned up by a qualified worker. Major spills and emergencies, on the other hand, are reportable incidents that fulfill one of these conditions: incidents where the hazardous materials spread rapidly, endanger humans or the environment, has caused a person to require medical treatment for either injury or exposure, or involves an individual needing rescue. From this information, it is clear that hazmat incidents can result in lasting injuries and even fatalities. We urge all workplaces that use hazardous materials to run strict safety guidelines. Workplace safety should never be taken for granted in order to prevent damage, not only to human lives, but for the sake of the environment as well.
If you have been injured in an accident, or have lost a loved one to the reckless actions of another, the Seattle personal injury attorneys at Caffee Accident & Injury Lawyers are poised to help you fight back. We have helped numerous people through the legal process and are ready to aggressively represent you as well. Contact us at (206) 899-5415 or online to speak with an attorney today.
Note: The attorneys with Caffee Accident & Injury Lawyers send our hearts out to the victims of serious accidents. Even though we see the pain and suffering accident victims endure through our daily work, it never becomes easier to hear such tragic news. We compose our blog using publicly available news sources. Sometimes stories are updated as more details surface. If our post becomes outdated or inaccurate, please let us know so that we may update it.
Disclaimer: This blog's aim is to increase awareness of severe injuries and their effects so that fewer individuals and families go through the painful and traumatic process of seeing a loved one hurt or killed in an accident. These are difficult topics, but we hope that our readers can use the information found here to help them avoid being involved in an accident. The information presented here does not construe legal advice.