video calls availableFree Consultation
Request Free Consultation
Seattle-WA-skyline-800x160

Spokane, Washington – Attic Fire in House Caused by Wiring

Request Free Consultation
Posted on June 5, 2019

Spokane, Washington (June 3, 2019) – A small fire burned in the attic of a house at the 423 block of West 24th Avenue on Monday morning. As the affected house was for sale, nobody was inside when the fire occurred. There were no injuries reported among the responding firefighters.

The response crew arrived on the scene around 11:45 a.m. The flames were confined to the attic of the house, and while firefighters had difficulty navigating the attic due to asbestos, the blaze was extinguished within minutes. According to the Spokane Fire Department, the cause of the fire was three air conditioners overheating, with the wiring igniting the insulation in the attic.

About Fire

The dangers of fire cannot be underestimated – the US Fire Administration has recorded 15 home fire fatalities this year within Washington.  Statistics from the NFPA have recorded that cooking equipment were the leading cause of home structure fires, home fire injuries, as well as being the second leading case of home fire deaths. Additionally, smoking materials are the leading case of home fire deaths, though it isn’t always the case every year. Always handle fire with wariness and see to it that fires are always extinguished after use. Remember also to assess the area where fire is going to be used and see to it that complete fire safety is practiced at all times.

Aside from cooking equipment and smoking materials, electrical causes remain to be one of the top causes for home fires according to the NFPA. Their Electrical Fire Reports to the U.S Fire Department since 2000 estimates around 45,000 to 55,000 cases of home fires being caused by electrical malfunction every year. Annual losses due to electrical fire result in 455 civilian deaths, 1, 500 civilian injuries and 1.5 billion of dollars in direct property damage. From these statistics, the risk from electrical fire is very real and should not be underestimated. As for the accidents themselves, the NFPA lists 63 percent involved wiring and related equipment, 74 percent cited some sort of electrical failure or malfunction, and wire or cable insulation was the first item ignited in 32 percent of electrical distribution or lighting equipment home structure fires. From these cases, one must always review and identify potential fire hazards and fix them to avoid damages, injuries or deaths.

[cta]