Seattle, Washington – House Fire due to Electrical MalfunctionRequest Free Consultation
Seattle, Washington (March 20, 2019) – The Seattle Fire Department responded to a house fire in 5400 block of 44th Avenue Southwest around 6 pm. The fire was mostly exterior fire and was extinguished in around an hour. The residents were out of the house at the time with a neighbor, and no one was injured in the accident. In the investigation, Seattle Fire Department has ruled the fire as accidental and caused by an electrical malfunction in the house wiring at the location of a mounted light above the back door of the residence. The estimated loss from the fire was $250, 000.
Our sympathies go to the families affected in various home fire accidents. They are not alone in their situation – electrical causes remain to be one of the top causes for home fires according to the NFPA. Their Electrical Fire Reports to the U.S Fire Department since 2000 estimates around 45,000 to 55,000 cases of home fires being caused by electrical malfunction every year. Annual losses due to electrical fire result in 455 civilian deaths, 1, 500 civilian injuries and 1.5 billion of dollars in direct property damage. From these statistics, the risk from electrical fire is very real and should not be underestimated. As for the accidents themselves, the NFPA lists 63 percent involved wiring and related equipment, 74 percent cited some sort of electrical failure or malfunction, and wire or cable insulation was the first item ignited in 32 percent of electrical distribution or lighting equipment home structure fires. When reviewing fire safety for the home, one should not forget to check for possible electrical causes. While we take the role of electricity for granted, one should never forget to use electricity without caution. Apart from the risks like electrocution and electrical burns, the electrical system can also pose a problem to the home itself. Proper identification and handling of electrical problems will be a key in securing fire safety for the home and all those that live in it.