Puyallup, Washington – Apartment Fire at East Main AvenueRequest Free Consultation
Puyallup, Washington (August 29, 2019) – A fire broke out at an apartment building on East Main Avenue on Thursday morning. Fortunately, all residents were able to evacuate safely, and no injuries were reported in the incident.
According to the report, the fire burned in a building east of downtown, near the river. Firefighters from Central Pierce responded to the scene, with Puyallup Police assisting in the evacuation. The fire was said to have been quickly extinguished, containing the damage to a few units. The cause of the fire has not been reported.
The dangers of fire cannot be underestimated – the US Fire Administration has recorded 15 home fire fatalities this year within Washington. Statistics from the NFPA have recorded that cooking equipment were the leading cause of home structure fires, home fire injuries, as well as being the second leading case of home fire deaths. Additionally, smoking materials are the leading case of home fire deaths, though it isn’t always the case every year. Always handle fire with wariness and see to it that fires are always extinguished after use. Remember also to assess the area where fire is going to be used and see to it that complete fire safety is practiced at all times.
Aside from cooking equipment and smoking materials, electrical causes remain to be one of the top causes for home fires according to the NFPA. Their Electrical Fire Reports to the U.S Fire Department since 2000 estimates around 45,000 to 55,000 cases of home fires being caused by electrical malfunction every year. Annual losses due to electrical fire result in 455 civilian deaths, 1, 500 civilian injuries and 1.5 billion of dollars in direct property damage. From these statistics, the risk from electrical fire is very real and should not be underestimated. As for the accidents themselves, the NFPA lists 63 percent involved wiring and related equipment, 74 percent cited some sort of electrical failure or malfunction, and wire or cable insulation was the first item ignited in 32 percent of electrical distribution or lighting equipment home structure fires. From these cases, one must always review and identify potential fire hazards and fix them to avoid damages, injuries or deaths.