Olympia, Washington – Fire Destroys Mobile Home on Archwood Drive SouthwestRequest Free Consultation
Olympia, Washington (September 24, 2019) – A mobile home on Archwood Drive Southwest was declared a total loss following a fire that broke out on Tuesday night. Fortunately, the occupant of the house was able to escape without any injuries. No other injuries were reported in the incident.
Responders from the Olympia Fire Department were dispatched to the scene around 9 p.m. Members from the Tumwater, McLane Black Lake, Griffin, and South Bay Fire Department also responded to the fire. By the time they arrived half of the mobile home was up in flames. The blaze damaged the entire structure, causing it to be declared a total loss. The cause of the fire has not been officially determined, but appears to be a cigarette.
There are many dangers present in fire, and studies have pointed to the structure of the mobile home as some of the most dangerous in a fire. Mobile homes are often considered manufactured housing, which is defined as any home constructed in a manufacturing plant and transport-able in one or two sections. Their economical state and availability makes them attractive to many buyers across America. In the state of Washington, mobile homes compose around 7.5% of housing, which is a fairly small number. However, the U.S. Fire Administration has stated that the fatality rate in mobile homes are doubled compared to regular, on-site houses.
The high level of danger in a mobile home fire comes from its structure. The frames in mobile homes are composed of a light steel structure, which can easily bend in high heat. In addition, floors are made of wood, and in a fire, both the frame and wood can easily collapse and trap occupants or firefighters. Coupled with the small spaces in mobile homes, a fire in this structure comes with great risk. Homeowners are advised to consider fire safety at all times, and firefighters are instructed to be wary of tackling a mobile home fire. Beyond the damage and loss inflicted on property, the threat of injuries and death should make everyone living in these homes to follow safety regulations.