Mount Vernon, Washington – One Person Dead in Fire that Broke Out in Mobile Home

Posted on Sunday, December 1st, 2019 at 8:49 pm    

Mount Vernon, Washington (November 28, 2019) – One person died in a fire that broke out in a mobile home on the 2522 block of Old Highway 99 South on Thursday morning. The other occupants of the home were able to get out in time because of a family friend’s warning. No other injuries were reported in the incident.

The fire broke out around 6:45 a.m. The Mount Vernon Fire Department responded to the incident, with an officer describing flames of 100-200 feet at the scene. According to the report from the Assistant Chief,  the victim was sleeping in the room where the fire started, which was in a shed connected to the house. The man was reported to have been using a propane and electric space heater. The fire also caused several camping propane tanks stored near the home to explode, adding fuel to the flames. The fire marshal is still investigating how the fire was ignited.

About Fire

We offer our sympathies and compassion for the friends and loves ones of the victim. Unfortunately this is not the only time a fire has resulted in tragedy. There are many dangers present in fire, and studies have pointed to the structure of the mobile home as some of the most dangerous in a fire. Mobile homes are often considered manufactured housing, which is defined as any home constructed in a manufacturing plant and transport-able in one or two sections. Their economical state and availability makes them attractive to many buyers across America. In the state of Washington, mobile homes compose around 7.5% of housing, which is a fairly small number. However, the U.S. Fire Administration has stated that the fatality rate in mobile homes are doubled compared to regular, on-site houses.

The high level of danger in a mobile home fire comes from its structure. The frames in mobile homes are composed of a light steel structure, which can easily bend in high heat. In addition, floors are made of wood, and in a fire, both the frame and wood can easily collapse and trap occupants or firefighters. Coupled with the small spaces in mobile homes, a fire in this structure comes with great risk. Homeowners are advised to consider fire safety at all times, and firefighters are instructed to be wary of tackling a mobile home fire. Beyond the damage and loss inflicted on property, the threat of injuries and death should make everyone living in these homes to follow safety regulations.

If you have been injured in an accident, or have lost a loved one to the reckless actions of another, the Seattle personal injury attorneys at Caffee Law are poised to help you fight back. We have helped numerous people through the legal process and are ready to aggressively represent you as well. Contact us at (206) 899-5415 or online to speak with an attorney today.

Note: The attorneys with Caffee Law send our hearts out to the victims of serious accidents. Even though we see the pain and suffering accident victims endure through our daily work, it never becomes easier to hear such tragic news. We compose our blog using publicly available news sources. Sometimes stories are updated as more details surface. If our post becomes outdated or inaccurate, please let us know so that we may update it.

Disclaimer: This blog's aim is to increase awareness of severe injuries and their effects so that fewer individuals and families go through the painful and traumatic process of seeing a loved one hurt or killed in an accident. These are difficult topics, but we hope that our readers can use the information found here to help them avoid being involved in an accident. The information presented here does not construe legal advice.



Reach Out To Jeffrey R. Caffee

Contact Us Today!

The Caffee Law has years of experience handling all manner of injury cases. Our Seattle Injury attorneys care about you and want to help you through the overwhelming challenges that you face as a victim of another person's negligence. Our firm is available at (206) 312-0954.