video calls availableFree Consultation
Request Free Consultation
Seattle-WA-skyline-800x160

Moses Lake, Washington – Fire In Homeless Shelter Causes Explosion of Propane Tanks

Request Free Consultation
Posted on January 30, 2020

Moses Lake, Washington (January 28, 2020) – A fire broke out in a homeless shelter on West Marina Drive on early Tuesday morning. according to the article from 560KPQ News Radio, the Moses Lake Fire Department responded to the scene of the incident around 3:21 a.m. The person inside the shelter had wood burning appliance that caused a fire to burn and spread to nearby propane tanks. This fire caused the propane tanks to explode, but fortunately there were no reported injuries in the incident.

About Fire

The dangers of fire cannot be underestimated – the US Fire Administration reported that 41 home fire fatalities were reported in 2018 within Washington. Statistics from the NFPA have recorded that cooking equipment were the leading cause of home structure fires, home fire injuries, as well as being the second leading case of home fire deaths. Additionally, smoking materials are the leading case of home fire deaths, though it isn’t always the case every year. Always handle fire with wariness and see to it that fires are always extinguished after use. Remember also to assess the area where fire is going to be used and see to it that complete fire safety is practiced at all times.

Aside from cooking equipment and smoking materials, electrical causes remain to be one of the top causes for home fires according to the NFPA. Their Electrical Fire Reports to the U.S Fire Department since 2000 estimates around 45,000 to 55,000 cases of home fires being caused by electrical malfunction every year. Annual losses due to electrical fire result in 455 civilian deaths, 1, 500 civilian injuries and 1.5 billion of dollars in direct property damage. From these statistics, the risk from electrical fire is very real and should not be underestimated. As for the accidents themselves, the NFPA lists 63 percent involved wiring and related equipment, 74 percent cited some sort of electrical failure or malfunction, and wire or cable insulation was the first item ignited in 32 percent of electrical distribution or lighting equipment home structure fires. From these cases, one must always review and identify potential fire hazards and fix them to avoid damages, injuries or deaths.

[cta]