Monroe, Washington – One Child Dead, Others with Minor Injuries in House Fire at Dotson RoadRequest Free Consultation
Monroe, Washington (January 13, 2020) – One child died and other residents sustained minor injuries in a fire that broke out in their home at the 312700 block of Dotson Road on early Monday. According to the report from KIRO7 News, the victim, an eight year-old girl, had been taken to Harborview Medical Center in critical condition, but later died from injuries. Other members of her family were also transported for treatment of minor injuries.
According to the report, the incident started around 2 a.m. The Monroe Fire Chief stated that the blaze started when clothes hanging above the stove caught on fire, and the flames spread to the rest of the house. The girl’s room was reported to be directly upstairs from where the fire started.
We offer our sympathies and compassion for the friends and loved ones of the victims. Unfortunately this is not the only time a house fire has resulted in a fatality. The dangers of fire cannot be underestimated – the US Fire Administration reported that 41 home fire fatalities were reported in 2018 within Washington. Statistics from the NFPA have recorded that cooking equipment were the leading cause of home structure fires, home fire injuries, as well as being the second leading case of home fire deaths. Additionally, smoking materials are the leading case of home fire deaths, though it isn’t always the case every year. Always handle fire with wariness and see to it that fires are always extinguished after use. Remember also to assess the area where fire is going to be used and see to it that complete fire safety is practiced at all times.
Aside from cooking equipment and smoking materials, electrical causes remain to be one of the top causes for home fires according to the NFPA. Their Electrical Fire Reports to the U.S Fire Department since 2000 estimates around 45,000 to 55,000 cases of home fires being caused by electrical malfunction every year. Annual losses due to electrical fire result in 455 civilian deaths, 1, 500 civilian injuries and 1.5 billion of dollars in direct property damage. From these statistics, the risk from electrical fire is very real and should not be underestimated. As for the accidents themselves, the NFPA lists 63 percent involved wiring and related equipment, 74 percent cited some sort of electrical failure or malfunction, and wire or cable insulation was the first item ignited in 32 percent of electrical distribution or lighting equipment home structure fires. From these cases, one must always review and identify potential fire hazards and fix them to avoid damages, injuries or deaths.