Monroe, Washington – Nineteen People Displaced by Apartment Fire

Posted on Thursday, April 4th, 2019 at 11:43 am    

Monroe, Washington (April 2, 2019) – An apartment fire affected eight units in block 14600 of 179th Avenue Southeast. Multiple units from different agencies were sent as a response to the fire. Fortunately, no one was inside the apartments when the fire happened. The only injury reported was a cat the firefighters rescued, who was given oxygen and taken to a local veterinarian. The fire left nineteen people displaced, and the American Red Cross is currently assisting their families.

The cause of the fire has not been provided yet, but the it is said to have started in the kitchen of one of the units in the apartment.

About Fires

The US Fire Administration has recorded 15 home fire fatalities this year within Washington.  Statistics from the National Fire Protection Association have recorded that cooking equipment were the leading cause of home structure fires, home fire injuries, as well as being the second leading case of home fire deaths. Unattended cooking, like the one in this case, is the leading cause of cooking fires and casualties.  These types of fires can be prevented with simple steps and by always using caution when cooking. Flammable liquids and other volatile materials should not be placed near the open fires of cooking equipment. Additionally, it is recommended that any flammable materials should be stored somewhere that is not exposed to heat. Like all other machinery, cooking equipment should be regularly checked and made to undergo maintenance to ensure the safety of anyone using it.

Other risks related to home fire have also been listed by the NFPA. According to the statistics, households that used electrical ranges were said to be at a higher risk for fires and losses compared to households that used gas ranges. While clothing being the first item to be ignited happened in less than 1  percent of cooking fires, it must be noted that clothing ignitions accounted for 15 percent of deaths in these types of fires, which should present the hazards of your clothes catching on fire. Lastly, more than half of non-fatal injuries happened when people tried to control the fire by themselves. There are many dangers associated with fire, and we urge everyone to always stay safe during these types of accidents.

If you have been injured in an accident, or have lost a loved one to the reckless actions of another, the Seattle personal injury attorneys at The Law Offices of Jeffrey R. Caffee are poised to help you fight back. We have helped numerous people through the legal process and are ready to aggressively represent you as well. Contact us at (206) 899-5415 or online to speak with an attorney today.

Note: The attorneys with The Law Offices of Jeffrey R. Caffee send our hearts out to the victims of serious accidents. Even though we see the pain and suffering accident victims endure through our daily work, it never becomes easier to hear such tragic news. We compose our blog using publicly available news sources. Sometimes stories are updated as more details surface. If our post becomes outdated or inaccurate, please let us know so that we may update it.

Disclaimer: This blog's aim is to increase awareness of severe injuries and their effects so that fewer individuals and families go through the painful and traumatic process of seeing a loved one hurt or killed in an accident. These are difficult topics, but we hope that our readers can use the information found here to help them avoid being involved in an accident. The information presented here does not construe legal advice.

contact-img

Contact

Reach Out To Jeffrey R. Caffe

Contact Us Today!

The The Law Offices of Jeffrey R. Caffee has years of experience handling all manner of injury cases. Our Seattle Injury attorneys care about you and want to help you through the overwhelming challenges that you face as a victim of another person's negligence. Our firm is available at (206) 899-5415.