Manson, Washington – Ten-Acre Brush Fire Caused by Sparks and High WindRequest Free Consultation
Manson, Washington (June 14, 2019) – A brush fire spread over ten acre near Wapato Lake Road on Friday night. While there were two homes in the area, they were reported to be safe from the fire and no one was injured.
Fire crews were called to the area around 10 p.m. The fire was accidental in nature, caused by the arcing from a transformer on a pole. This dropped sparks into the dry grass and was fanned by the high winds in the area. While power at the transformer went out, it was soon repaired. The fire crews left the area around 3 a.m.
Washington counts as the 5th state most prone to wildfire from 2017 wildfire risk analysis, and ranks 8th in a 2018 study by number of fires that happened. The US Fire Administration has recorded 15 home fire fatalities this year within Washington, showing the destruction fire is capable of doing. Even within city areas, one must be wary of fires that can happen near residential areas.
If your home is near an area with risk of brush fire, there are few safety reminders to keep in mind. Homeowners are urged to complete their spring cleaning, and to create a defensible space around the home by clearing trees and brush. Additionally, the limbs of trees should be cut to at least 15 feet off the ground. Any object that send out fires should be handled with absolute care. Common objects such as lit matches and cigarette butts can also easily cause a fire within dry brush. Should fire be used in an outdoor space, one must assess the surroundings to make sure fire would not have a possibility to spread out. Finally, before leaving an area where fire was used, one must ensure that any fires must be extinguished completely. Preventing brush fires from happening is everyone’s responsibility, and careful use of fire can ensure the safety of not only one’s self, but hundreds of others.