video calls availableFree Consultation
Request Free Consultation
Seattle-WA-skyline-800x160

Gig Harbor, Washington – Dumpster Fire Suspected to Have Been Sparked by Lawn Mower

Request Free Consultation
Posted on June 13, 2019

Gig Harbor, Washington (June 12, 2019) – A fire broke out in a pile of garbage on the 14515 block of 54th Avenue Northwest on Wednesday morning. Fortunately, there were no injuries or property damage and loss reported in the incident.

Gig Harbor firefighters responded to the scene at Purdy Transfer Station. The fire broke out in a metal container, located in a pile of garbage which included home appliances. It is suspected that the cause of the fire was a lawnmower seen by some workers in the pile, which might have had some gas left in its tank that could have sparked the fire.

About Fire

Working with flammable liquids is inherently dangerous, and one must never underestimate the hazards. More than injuries to the body, flammable liquids can cause destructive fires. This is especially important in cases like these were volatile materials have not been properly disposed. Fire safety must always be kept in mind as Washington counts as the 5th state most prone to wildfire from 2017 wildfire risk analysis, and ranks 8th in a 2018 study by number of fires that happened. The US Fire Administration has recorded 15 home fire fatalities this year within Washington, showing the destruction fire is capable of doing. Even within city areas, one must be wary of fires that can happen near residential areas.

If your home is near an area with risk of brush fire, there are few safety reminders to keep in mind. Homeowners are urged to complete their spring cleaning, and to create a defensible space around the home by clearing trees and brush. Additionally, the limbs of trees should be cut to at least 15 feet off the ground. Any object that send out fires should be handled with absolute care. Common objects such as lit matches and cigarette butts can also easily cause a fire within dry brush. Should fire be used in an outdoor space, one must assess the surroundings to make sure fire would not have a possibility to spread out. Finally, before leaving an area where fire was used, one must ensure that any fires must be extinguished completely. Preventing brush fires from happening is everyone’s responsibility, and careful use of fire can ensure the safety of not only one’s self, but hundreds of others.

[cta]