Bonney Lake, Washington – Man Sustains Burn Injuries After Working With GasolineRequest Free Consultation
Bonney Lake, Washington (June 3, 2019) – A man suffered serious burns after the fuel he was working with ignited. According to firefighters, the victim was burned from from his neck. He was airlifted to Harborview Medical Center for treatment.
The man was apparently working with gasoline in his yard on the 13500 block of Ridgewood Drive East when the fuel caught on fire. A helicopter from UW Medicine’s Airlift Northwest arrived to pick him up from Liberty Ridge Elementary School. His current condition is unknown.
We offer our sympathies to the victim and send our well wishes. Working with flammable liquids is inherently dangerous, and one must never underestimate the hazards. More than injuries to the body, flammable liquids can cause destructive fires. This is important to keep in mind as Washington counts as the 5th state most prone to wildfire from 2017 wildfire risk analysis, and ranks 8th in a 2018 study by number of fires that happened. The US Fire Administration has recorded 15 home fire fatalities this year within Washington, showing the destruction fire is capable of doing. Even within city areas, one must be wary of fires that can happen near residential areas.
If your home is near an area with risk of brush fire, there are few safety reminders to keep in mind. Homeowners are urged to complete their spring cleaning, and to create a defensible space around the home by clearing trees and brush. Additionally, the limbs of trees should be cut to at least 15 feet off the ground. Any object that send out fires should be handled with absolute care. Common objects such as lit matches and cigarette butts can also easily cause a fire within dry brush. Should fire be used in an outdoor space, one must assess the surroundings to make sure fire would not have a possibility to spread out. Finally, before leaving an area where fire was used, one must ensure that any fires must be extinguished completely. Preventing brush fires from happening is everyone’s responsibility, and careful use of fire can ensure the safety of not only one’s self, but hundreds of others.