video calls availableFree Consultation
Request Free Consultation
Seattle-WA-skyline-800x160

Bellevue, Washington – Small Fire at Library Caused by Battery Pack Explosion

Request Free Consultation
Posted on June 23, 2019

Bellevue, Washington (June 22,2019) – A small fire and explosion was reported outside the Bellevue Library on 100th Avenue Northeast on Saturday evening. The incident caused an evacuation of the premises as the bomb squad conducted investigation, but no one was injured and there were also no reported damages done to the building.

The cause of the explosion was found out to be a small battery pack leaning against the concrete wall outside the library. The battery pack, which possibly came from an electric bicycle, ignited and then exploded. While the Bellevue Fire Department was called, the fire did not spread as the battery pack burned out before fire crews could arrive. The scene has been reported clear and it has been stated there were no further threats in the area.

About Fires

It is fortunate that no one was injured and the building wasn’t damaged in this particular incident. Electrical causes remain to be one of the top causes for home fires according to the NFPA. Their Electrical Fire Reports to the U.S Fire Department since 2000 estimates around 45,000 to 55,000 cases of home fires being caused by electrical malfunction every year. Annual losses due to electrical fire result in 455 civilian deaths, 1, 500 civilian injuries and 1.5 billion of dollars in direct property damage. From these statistics, the risk from electrical fire is very real and should not be underestimated. As for the accidents themselves, the NFPA lists 63 percent involved wiring and related equipment, 74 percent cited some sort of electrical failure or malfunction, and wire or cable insulation was the first item ignited in 32 percent of electrical distribution or lighting equipment home structure fires. When reviewing fire safety for the home, one should not forget to check for possible electrical causes. While we take the role of electricity for granted, one should never forget to use electricity without caution. Apart from the risks like electrocution and electrical burns, the electrical system can also pose a problem to the home itself. Proper identification and handling of electrical problems will be a key in securing fire safety for the home and all those that live in it.

[cta]