Auburn, Washington – Garage Fire Spreads to Apartment, Under Investigation as ArsonRequest Free Consultation
Auburn, Washington (July 18, 2019) – A fire that started in a garage and damaged a unit at an apartment complex is under investigation as arson. Fortunately, all residents of the apartment were able to safely escape, and no injuries have been reported. However, two people were displaced by the fire.
Crrews from the Valley Regional Fire Authority were called to I Street Northeast and 22nd Street Northeast around 6 a.m. on Thursday morning. By the time crews arrived, the garage was well-involved in flames and had started to spread to a nearby apartment complex. The fire was quickly knocked down. As for the cause, neighbors witnessed a local homeless woman setting the fires and detained her until police arrived. She has been arrested.
While this particular case is due to arson, it is still important to note one’s personal fire safety. The US Fire Administration has recorded 15 home fire fatalities this year within Washington. Statistics from the NFPA have recorded that cooking equipment were the leading cause of home structure fires, home fire injuries, as well as being the second leading case of home fire deaths. Additionally, smoking materials are the leading case of home fire deaths, though it isn’t always the case every year. Always handle fire with wariness and see to it that fires are always extinguished after use. Remember also to assess the area where fire is going to be used and see to it that complete fire safety is practiced at all times.
Aside from cooking equipment and smoking materials, electrical causes remain to be one of the top causes for home fires according to the NFPA. Their Electrical Fire Reports to the U.S Fire Department since 2000 estimates around 45,000 to 55,000 cases of home fires being caused by electrical malfunction every year. Annual losses due to electrical fire result in 455 civilian deaths, 1, 500 civilian injuries and 1.5 billion of dollars in direct property damage. From these statistics, the risk from electrical fire is very real and should not be underestimated. As for the accidents themselves, the NFPA lists 63 percent involved wiring and related equipment, 74 percent cited some sort of electrical failure or malfunction, and wire or cable insulation was the first item ignited in 32 percent of electrical distribution or lighting equipment home structure fires. In light of this case, firefighters are stressing the importance of closed doors, which can help prevent the spread of fire. From these cases, one must always review and identify potential fire hazards and fix them to avoid damages, injuries or deaths.