Seattle, Washington – One Firefighter Sustained Minor Injuries in House Fire Caused by Rechargeable Battery

Posted on Monday, June 17th, 2019 at 1:40 am    

Seattle, Washington (June 13, 2019) – One firefighter sustained minor injuries while battling a house fire at the 6700 block of 33rd Avenue Northwest. It would appear tat the firefighter did not need to be hospitalized for treatment. There were no other injuries reported among the fire crew, and the residents of the home were all able to safely escape the building.

Fire officials have determined that the cause of the fire was a rechargeable battery which burst into flames shortly after being unplugged from a power strip. When firefighters arrived on the scene, the fire was coming from the basement and had spread to an attached deck and detached garage. The fire reached up to the attic, but the efforts of the crews contained the fire and put it out within an hour. The damage done to the house was estimated around $400,000.

About Fires

Our sympathies go to the families affected in various home fire accidents. They are not alone in their situation – electrical causes remain to be one of the top causes for home fires according to the NFPA. Their Electrical Fire Reports to the U.S Fire Department since 2000 estimates around 45,000 to 55,000 cases of home fires being caused by electrical malfunction every year. Annual losses due to electrical fire result in 455 civilian deaths, 1, 500 civilian injuries and 1.5 billion of dollars in direct property damage. From these statistics, the risk from electrical fire is very real and should not be underestimated. As for the accidents themselves, the NFPA lists 63 percent involved wiring and related equipment, 74 percent cited some sort of electrical failure or malfunction, and wire or cable insulation was the first item ignited in 32 percent of electrical distribution or lighting equipment home structure fires. When reviewing fire safety for the home, one should not forget to check for possible electrical causes. While we take the role of electricity for granted, one should never forget to use electricity without caution. Apart from the risks like electrocution and electrical burns, the electrical system can also pose a problem to the home itself. Proper identification and handling of electrical problems will be a key in securing fire safety for the home and all those that live in it.

If you have been injured in an accident, or have lost a loved one to the reckless actions of another, the Seattle personal injury attorneys at The Law Offices of Jeffrey R. Caffee are poised to help you fight back. We have helped numerous people through the legal process and are ready to aggressively represent you as well. Contact us at (206) 899-5415 or online to speak with an attorney today.

Note: The attorneys with The Law Offices of Jeffrey R. Caffee send our hearts out to the victims of serious accidents. Even though we see the pain and suffering accident victims endure through our daily work, it never becomes easier to hear such tragic news. We compose our blog using publicly available news sources. Sometimes stories are updated as more details surface. If our post becomes outdated or inaccurate, please let us know so that we may update it.

Disclaimer: This blog's aim is to increase awareness of severe injuries and their effects so that fewer individuals and families go through the painful and traumatic process of seeing a loved one hurt or killed in an accident. These are difficult topics, but we hope that our readers can use the information found here to help them avoid being involved in an accident. The information presented here does not construe legal advice.

contact-img

Contact

Reach Out To Jeffrey R. Caffe

Contact Us Today!

The The Law Offices of Jeffrey R. Caffee has years of experience handling all manner of injury cases. Our Seattle Injury attorneys care about you and want to help you through the overwhelming challenges that you face as a victim of another person's negligence. Our firm is available at (206) 899-5415.