Olympia, Washington – One Person Injured Due to Stove Fire
Posted on Tuesday, October 29th, 2019 at 2:59 am
Olympia, Washington (October 27, 2019) – One person was transported to a hospital following a smoke fire incident in an apartment building at the 100 block of Legion Way Southeast. The patient, who was also the sole occupant of the affected unit, was treated for smoke inhalation. No other units sustained damage in the incident and no other injuries were reported.
Crews were alerted to the incident via fire alarm, and upon arrival found that the occupant had already extinguished the flames using a fire extinguisher. The fire had caused extensive fire damage to the kitchen area of the unit, enough damage that the occupant was displaced.
The US Fire Administration has recorded 15 home fire fatalities this year within Washington. Statistics from the National Fire Protection Association have recorded that cooking equipment were the leading cause of home structure fires, home fire injuries, as well as being the second leading case of home fire deaths. Grease fires usually start when animal or vegetable oil spills over the side of the pan and ignites in the fire. It is a very alarming situation, but there are steps one can follow to prevent the fire from spreading. The best way to handle this situation is to immediately cover the container with a lid and remove the heat source. The container must cool down before being opened again, as heat can restart the fire. Water is not recommended for extinguishing this type of flame, however baking soda or salt can be used to smother the fire.
Other risks related to home fire have also been listed by the NFPA. According to the statistics, households that used electrical ranges were said to be at a higher risk for fires and losses compared to households that used gas ranges. While clothing being the first item to be ignited happened in less than 1 percent of cooking fires, it must be noted that clothing ignitions accounted for 15 percent of deaths in these types of fires, which should present the hazards of your clothes catching on fire. Lastly, more than half of non-fatal injuries happened when people tried to control the fire by themselves. There are many dangers associated with fire, and we urge everyone to always stay safe during these types of accidents.
If you have been injured in an accident, or have lost a loved one to the reckless actions of another, the Seattle personal injury attorneys at The Law Offices of Jeffrey R. Caffee are poised to help you fight back. We have helped numerous people through the legal process and are ready to aggressively represent you as well. Contact us at (206) 899-5415 or online to speak with an attorney today.
Note: The attorneys with The Law Offices of Jeffrey R. Caffee send our hearts out to the victims of serious accidents. Even though we see the pain and suffering accident victims endure through our daily work, it never becomes easier to hear such tragic news. We compose our blog using publicly available news sources. Sometimes stories are updated as more details surface. If our post becomes outdated or inaccurate, please let us know so that we may update it.
Disclaimer: This blog's aim is to increase awareness of severe injuries and their effects so that fewer individuals and families go through the painful and traumatic process of seeing a loved one hurt or killed in an accident. These are difficult topics, but we hope that our readers can use the information found here to help them avoid being involved in an accident. The information presented here does not construe legal advice.