Deming, Washington – Tiny Home Destroyed in Fire Due to Propane Refrigerator
Posted on Thursday, June 20th, 2019 at 9:29 pm
Deming, Washington (June 8, 2019) – A tiny house being built by a couple in Deming was destroyed in an explosion and a fire caused by a three-way propane refrigerator. While the owners had already moved into the tiny house, they were fortunately away at the time of the accident. There were also no firefighters injured in the incident.
According to homeowner Renna Fir, the first three-way propane refrigerator she bought had previously blown up and caused a small fire, but she was able to put it out. Since the manufacturers did not respond, the company sent her a replacement, and believing the accident would not repeat itself, she lit the pilot flame and watched the appliance for one day and night. The next day, she went down to Seattle to meet her partner homeowner, and got a call from the fire department that the house had blown up. As the tiny house was completely burnt down, the couple will be starting all over again, though they have stated that the site needed to be cleaned first before a new structure could be built.
It is fortunate that no one was injured in this particular incident. There are many dangers present in fire, and studies have pointed to the structure of the mobile home as some of the most dangerous in a fire. Mobile homes are often considered manufactured housing, which is defined as any home constructed in a manufacturing plant and transport-able in one or two sections. Their economical state and availability makes them attractive to many buyers across America. In the state of Washington, mobile homes compose around 7.5% of housing, which is a fairly small number. However, the U.S. Fire Administration has stated that the fatality rate in mobile homes are doubled compared to regular, on-site houses.
The high level of danger in a mobile home fire comes from its structure. The frames in mobile homes are composed of a light steel structure, which can easily bend in high heat. In addition, floors are made of wood, and in a fire, both the frame and wood can easily collapse and trap occupants or firefighters. Coupled with the small spaces in mobile homes, a fire in this structure comes with great risk. Homeowners are advised to consider fire safety at all times, and firefighters are instructed to be wary of tackling a mobile home fire. Beyond the damage and loss inflicted on property, the threat of injuries and death should make everyone living in these homes to follow safety regulations.
If you have been injured in an accident, or have lost a loved one to the reckless actions of another, the Seattle personal injury attorneys at The Law Offices of Jeffrey R. Caffee are poised to help you fight back. We have helped numerous people through the legal process and are ready to aggressively represent you as well. Contact us at (206) 899-5415 or online to speak with an attorney today.
Note: The attorneys with The Law Offices of Jeffrey R. Caffee send our hearts out to the victims of serious accidents. Even though we see the pain and suffering accident victims endure through our daily work, it never becomes easier to hear such tragic news. We compose our blog using publicly available news sources. Sometimes stories are updated as more details surface. If our post becomes outdated or inaccurate, please let us know so that we may update it.
Disclaimer: This blog's aim is to increase awareness of severe injuries and their effects so that fewer individuals and families go through the painful and traumatic process of seeing a loved one hurt or killed in an accident. These are difficult topics, but we hope that our readers can use the information found here to help them avoid being involved in an accident. The information presented here does not construe legal advice.
Note: The exact location of the fire has not been provided.