Bellingham, Washington – Fire that Damaged Home Likely Caused by Dryer
Posted on Thursday, October 24th, 2019 at 1:58 am
Bellingham, Washington (October 19, 2019) – A fire broke out in a residence on the 900 block of Bass Street on Saturday afternoon. While the residents were home when the incident started, all off them were able to safely escape the structure, and no injuries were reported.
Crews from the South Whatcom Fire Authority and Bellingham Fire department responded to the scene around 1 p.m.. The fire was reported to have been quickly extinguished, with damage being reported in the laundry room where the blaze originated as well as minor fire extensions to the kitchen and bathroom. The fire is believed to have started from a clothes dryer.
The use of any electrical appliances always comes with a risk of fire, especially in establishments that make frequent use of them. The U.S Fire Administration has listed 2, 9oo cases of home clothes dryer fires each year, which cause an estimated 5 deaths, 100 injuries, and $35 million in property loss. The most common cause for dryer fires is failure to clean the appliance, which can lead to the lint built up within to catch fire. Because of this, a clothes dryer without a lint filter or has one that is damaged, loose or clogged, is not recommended for use.
Aside from the specific instance of dryer fires, electrical causes remain to be one of the top causes for home fires according to the NFPA. Their Electrical Fire Reports to the U.S Fire Department since 2000 estimates around 45,000 to 55,000 cases of home fires being caused by electrical malfunction every year. Annual losses due to electrical fire result in 455 civilian deaths, 1, 500 civilian injuries and 1.5 billion of dollars in direct property damage. From these statistics, the risk from electrical fire is very real and should not be underestimated. As for the accidents themselves, the NFPA lists 63 percent involved wiring and related equipment, 74 percent cited some sort of electrical failure or malfunction, and wire or cable insulation was the first item ignited in 32 percent of electrical distribution or lighting equipment home structure fires. From these cases, one must always review and identify potential fire hazards and fix them to avoid damages, injuries or deaths.
If you have been injured in an accident, or have lost a loved one to the reckless actions of another, the Seattle personal injury attorneys at The Law Offices of Jeffrey R. Caffee are poised to help you fight back. We have helped numerous people through the legal process and are ready to aggressively represent you as well. Contact us at (206) 899-5415 or online to speak with an attorney today.
Note: The attorneys with The Law Offices of Jeffrey R. Caffee send our hearts out to the victims of serious accidents. Even though we see the pain and suffering accident victims endure through our daily work, it never becomes easier to hear such tragic news. We compose our blog using publicly available news sources. Sometimes stories are updated as more details surface. If our post becomes outdated or inaccurate, please let us know so that we may update it.
Disclaimer: This blog's aim is to increase awareness of severe injuries and their effects so that fewer individuals and families go through the painful and traumatic process of seeing a loved one hurt or killed in an accident. These are difficult topics, but we hope that our readers can use the information found here to help them avoid being involved in an accident. The information presented here does not construe legal advice.