Seattle, Washington – Dryer FireRequest Free Consultation
Seattle, Washington (April 10, 2019) – A small fire was reported in a building at 8700 block of 18th Avenue Northwest. The source of the fire was a small dryer fire. Firefighters from the Seattle Fire Department were reported to have water on the fire near 5 p.m. No one was reported to have been injured in the incident.
The use of any electrical appliances always comes with a risk of fire, especially in establishments that make frequent use of them. The U.S Fire Administration has listed 2, 9oo cases of home clothes dryer fires each year, which cause an estimated 5 deaths, 100 injuries, and $35 million in property loss. The most common cause for dryer fires is failure to clean the appliance, which can lead to lint built up within to catch fire. Because of this, a clothes dryer without a lint filter or has one that is damages, loose or clogged, is not recommended for use.
Aside from the specific instance of dryer fires, electrical causes remain to be one of the top causes for home fires according to the NFPA. Their Electrical Fire Reports to the U.S Fire Department since 2000 estimates around 45,000 to 55,000 cases of home fires being caused by electrical malfunction every year. Annual losses due to electrical fire result in 455 civilian deaths, 1, 500 civilian injuries and 1.5 billion of dollars in direct property damage. From these statistics, the risk from electrical fire is very real and should not be underestimated. As for the accidents themselves, the NFPA lists 63 percent involved wiring and related equipment, 74 percent cited some sort of electrical failure or malfunction, and wire or cable insulation was the first item ignited in 32 percent of electrical distribution or lighting equipment home structure fires. From these cases, one must always review and identify potential fire hazards and fix them to avoid damages, injuries or deaths.