Kent, Washington – Fire Destroys Mobile Home at Maple LaneRequest Free Consultation
Kent, Washington (August 31, 2019) – A mobile home on the 1500 block of Maple Lane was destroyed in a fire on early Saturday morning. Fortunately, the sole occupant of the home, Alex Lima, was able to safely escape the burning structure. No injuries were reported in the incident. Firefighters were able to prevent the flames from spreading to nearby homes.
Lima was asleep inside the home when the fire broke out. A neighbor, Miriam Hernandez, was able to warn Lima by breaking the window, and he was able to escape. Unfortunately, the fire destroyed most of Lima’s possessions, including his two cars, clothes and savings. The cause of the fire has not been reported.
There are many dangers present in fire, and studies have pointed to the structure of the mobile home as some of the most dangerous in a fire. Mobile homes are often considered manufactured housing, which is defined as any home constructed in a manufacturing plant and transport-able in one or two sections. Their economical state and availability makes them attractive to many buyers across America. In the state of Washington, mobile homes compose around 7.5% of housing, which is a fairly small number. However, the U.S. Fire Administration has stated that the fatality rate in mobile homes are doubled compared to regular, on-site houses.
The high level of danger in a mobile home fire comes from its structure. The frames in mobile homes are composed of a light steel structure, which can easily bend in high heat. In addition, floors are made of wood, and in a fire, both the frame and wood can easily collapse and trap occupants or firefighters. Coupled with the small spaces in mobile homes, a fire in this structure comes with great risk. Homeowners are advised to consider fire safety at all times, and firefighters are instructed to be wary of tackling a mobile home fire. Beyond the damage and loss inflicted on property, the threat of injuries and death should make everyone living in these homes to follow safety regulations.