Chelan, Washington – Brush Fire Breaks Out on Purtteman Gulch RoadRequest Free Consultation
Chelan, Washington (Ferbuary 17, 2020) – A brush fire occurred on the 900 block of Purtteman Gulch Road on Monday noon. According to the article from 560 KPQ News Radio, the fire was an eight of an acre in size, but was under control within 15 minutes. No injuries were reported in the incident, but the Chelan Fire and Rescue stated that the fire is a good example of how dry the vegetation is in the area. The fire was started by a homeowner who was burning brush along a fence line.
Washington counts as the 5th state most prone to wildfire from 2017 wildfire risk analysis, and ranks 8th in a 2018 study by number of fires that happened. The dangers of fire cannot be underestimated – the US Fire Administration reported that 41 home fire fatalities were reported in 2018 within Washington. Even within city areas, one must be wary of fires that can happen near residential areas.
If your home is near an area with risk of brush fire, there are few safety reminders to keep in mind. Homeowners are urged to complete their spring cleaning, and to create a defensible space around the home by clearing trees and brush. Additionally, the limbs of trees should be cut to at least 15 feet off the ground. Any object that send out fires should be handled with absolute care. Common objects such as lit matches and cigarette butts can also easily cause a fire within dry brush. Should fire be used in an outdoor space, one must assess the surroundings to make sure fire would not have a possibility to spread out. While the fire is burning, it is imperative that it must be attended to and ensure that the blaze does not go out of control. Finally, before leaving an area where fire was used, one must ensure that any fires must be extinguished completely. Preventing brush fires from happening is everyone’s responsibility, and careful use of fire can ensure the safety of not only one’s self, but hundreds of others.