Aberdeen, Washington – House Fire on NW BoulevardRequest Free Consultation
Aberdeen, Washington (May 20, 2019) – A house fire was reported on the 100 block of Northwest Boulevard on Monday morning. Due to the timely actions of the child who reported the fire and the response crews from Aberdeen and Hoquiam’s fire department, the fire was quickly extinguished. No one was reported injured from the incident.
The fire was reported to 911 by an 11 year-old child who was home at the time. The child had apparently smelled smoke and found a fire in one of the bedrooms. The child closed the door to the bedroom, left the house and called 911. Because the door was closed, the fire damage was contained to that room only. The fire was taken down within 12 minutes of the initial call. The damage has been estimated at $3,500. The cause of the fire has not been provided.
The dangers of fire cannot be underestimated. The US Fire Administration has recorded 15 home fire fatalities this year within Washington. Statistics from the NFPA have recorded that cooking equipment were the leading cause of home structure fires, home fire injuries, as well as being the second leading case of home fire deaths. Additionally, smoking materials are the leading case of home fire deaths, though it isn’t always the case every year. Always handle fire with wariness and see to it that fires are always extinguished after use. Remember also to assess the area where fire is going to be used and see to it that complete fire safety is practiced at all times.
Aside from cooking equipment and smoking materials, electrical causes remain to be one of the top causes for home fires according to the NFPA. Their Electrical Fire Reports to the U.S Fire Department since 2000 estimates around 45,000 to 55,000 cases of home fires being caused by electrical malfunction every year. Annual losses due to electrical fire result in 455 civilian deaths, 1, 500 civilian injuries and 1.5 billion of dollars in direct property damage. From these statistics, the risk from electrical fire is very real and should not be underestimated. As for the accidents themselves, the NFPA lists 63 percent involved wiring and related equipment, 74 percent cited some sort of electrical failure or malfunction, and wire or cable insulation was the first item ignited in 32 percent of electrical distribution or lighting equipment home structure fires. From these cases, one must always review and identify potential fire hazards and fix them to avoid damages, injuries or deaths.